The 2017 Darwin Cup Carnival is set to be a kaleidoscope of colour and a whole lot of fun to dress up for. Whether you choose a vibrant palette or a subtler blend, colour will most certainly be the order of the day. So what else is trending? Casuarina Square’s resident stylist, Jo Moo, has the forecast.
Fortune favours the bold! Stand out in bright, botanical prints featuring birds and butterflies, or select a vintage floral for a touch of the whimsical (abstract prints are also worth pondering). Detailing from the bygone era is expected to come back in, with delicate ruffles, pleating, feather trims, pussycat bows, vintage buttons and applique all adding to a feminine look this racing season.
Considering cuts? Think full or pencil skirts with fish tails, and mullet and cocktail length hemlines. Sleeves are full, frilled and flouncy, with the leg-of-mutton also making a comeback. It’s certainly the year to let your imagination and creativity run wild!
Show your Territorian spirit in vibrant hues borrowed from nature. Starting with the Pantone colour of the year, ‘Greenery,’ you’ll also have fun with cobalt blues, turquoise, tomato red, bright yellow and even hot pink. Struggling with a palette? Be strategic and start with a block colour, then build up your outfit slowly. The key is selecting that ‘master’ colour and repeating it in your headwear and accessories.
Bold statement earrings and accessories encrusted with multicoloured crystals and gems will have you field-ready, and tassels and pom poms will look great on clutches and with your jewellery. Let your creative urges prevail!
Think wedges and block heels to avoid sinking into the turf. If you opt for a stiletto, grab a pair of Starlettos from Betts for Her. Not only will they protect your heels, but they’ll stop you from them stuck in the ground. For style inspiration, look to the classics – pointed toes, peep toes and lace-ups. Metallic and neutral tones are also trending.
MILLINERY Crowns – festoon with flowers, embellishments, jewels, and vintage embroidery lace. Turbans – think stripes, check, or gingham and add a jewelled broach to complete the look. Halos – Look for carefully curated leather flowers or striking sprays of feathered flowers. Headbands – If you prefer a minimalist approach, a jewelled or embellished headband will get you over the finish line.
Tip: Consider weaving some iconic Territory products into your headwear, like Crocodile skin or pearls.
Gentlemen will look sharp and stylish in the tailored three-piece suit, with a fitted shirt and slim line pant. Cap the look off with the straw fedora, or add a pop of colour with your tie and pocket square.
For a distinctly territory vibe, take a peek at RM Williams’ latest looks, with stripes, checks shirts, moleskins, boots and of course, the classic Akubra hat giving your race look a rugged edge. Blokes will also look laidback yet dressy in a turned-up chino pant, linen shirt and loafer.
Don’t forget your tweed racing cap for the added touch of panache!
1. If you opt for a bold block colour or motif, repeat it in your accessories to bring the outfit together.
2. Decide on your look in advance. A considered outfit will always look better than something that’s been thrown together at the last minute. Book your hair and make-up early, too, and ask your beautician for a back-up lipstick so you can reapply during the day.
3. Be smart with your footwear. If you’ve got new heels, wear them in ahead of time. Pack a Betts Sole Saver Kit – it’ll fit in your clutch and save your feet a lot of trouble. If you’re not in wedges or block heels, be sure to grab some Starlettos so you don’t sink into the turf!
4. Make up your own race day survival kit so you’re armed with the essentials. Band aids, bobby pins, hair ties, needle and threads, tooth pick and some paracetamol are likely to come in handy! If you’ve opted for stick on nails, pack the spare and glue. And don’t forget your lippy!
5. Before you go, take a selfie with your hat on so you have a reference for its precise placement. And make sure you can comfortably fit in the car with it on! This is especially important if your hairstyle has been styled around your headwear.
Remember, when it comes to Fashions on the Field it will be the attention to detail that sets you apart. Enjoy polishing your look for head to toe, but most of all, have fun! Be yourself and you’ll be a winner, no matter what the stakes.