Summer, sun, swimming and SNACKS! All our favourite things for the school holidays.
If you’re worried about the kids (and yourselves) overindulging over the party season, there are some deliciously delectable snacks that are so tasty AND pretty, you won’t even realise how healthy they are.
Below we’ve shared 3 of our favourite summer snack recipes. Yummy!
RAINBOW FRUIT KEBABS
What kid can resist rainbow food? These fruit skewers are fresh and delicious. You can serve them fresh or frozen (fruity iceblocks!). You can also get the kids involved in preparing them. It’s fun and they can choose their favourite fruits to add in.
- Fruit of your choice, hulled if necessary and chopped into small bite sized pieces
- Optional: For a special treat add a few mini marshmallows. You can also serve the kebabs with a special dip of your favourite yoghurt.
- Set up your fruit in separate containers
- Set up a ‘rainbow kebab station’ and get the kids to make their own kebabs using their favourite fruit
Hint: Keep like colours close together to achieve the rainbow effect.
BLUEBERRY YOGHURT NICE-BLOCKS
I scream you scream we all scream for…. Nice-blocks! These yoghurt blueberry nice-blocks are so creamy and refreshing. You can substitute the blueberries with any other fruit you love for something different.
- 3 cups blueberries
- 3 tbsps honey or agave
- 3 cups vanilla or plain yoghurt
- Add your berries to a food processor and blend until they reach a smooth consistency
- Move the berry mixture to a large bowl and gently mix in the honey or agave, and the yoghurt
- Pour carefully into ice block moulds and freeze overnight for the best results
Hint: If you don’t mix the ingredients together completely you’ll achieve a swirly look.
STRAWBERRY MANGO SALSA WITH CORN CHIPS
Who says salsa can’t be made with fruit?! Trust us… once you try this you may never eat salsa the same way again. Served with plain salted corn chips, this fruity salsa is balanced perfectly with the saltiness of the chips.
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1 cup diced mango
- 1 tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1 tbsp chopped coriander
- Juice of 1 fresh lime
- Agave syrup or honey to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and combine gently (so as not to mush everything together)
- Scoop into a serving bowl, garnish with fresh coriander or chopped green onions and serve with a bowl of plain salted corn chips.
- Go forth and salivate. Enjoy!